Ever wanted to know where your seafood comes from? What the Australian seafood industry does to ensure your seafood is sustainable? Or where the top-level restaurants go to get the freshest of the fresh? On a behind the scenes tour of SFM you'll have all these questions answered and more!
SFM is the largest market of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere and the third largest seafood market in terms of variety in the world. Approximately 2,700 crates (around 50-55 tonnes) of the freshest possible seafood is auctioned each day through the computerised Dutch auction system to approximately 160 buyers. The incredible variety of seafood is sourced from individual fishermen, co-ops, fishing businesses and aquaculture farms in Australia, New Zealand and the Asia-Pacific Region with over 100 species available to buyers daily.
NEW Brunch Tour - click here to book!
Book Tours Online>
What you will experience on the tour?
- Trained SFM guides will take you behind the scenes to explore all facets of the market
- Learn about the history of Sydney Fish Market
- Explanation of how the Dutch auction and buying system works
- Tour of the auction floor, viewing over 100 species
- Witness Oyster shucking
- Find out about sashimi, live product and our specialist seafood retailers
- Duration of a tour is usually 1 1/2 - 2 hours
Where and when?
- Tours are held every Weekday (except Public Holidays and between Christmas and New Year)
- Tours begin at 6:40am sharp and will end around 8:30am
- Meeting point is at the wooden tables inside the main hall- just next to Christie's. View our Retailer Map.
Cost of tour?
- $45 Adult
- $20 Children (between 10-13 years old)
In the interests of safety, the minimum age of tour participants is 10 years of age, this includes new born babies in carriers. Please note, there are no exceptions.
What to wear?
- Due to occupational health and safety concerns, all visitors to the auction must wear enclosed shoes. Those who do not wear enclosed shoes will not be granted access to the auction floor.
- The auction floor can be wet and it is best to avoid wearing leather shoes as they tend to absorb the water. It is recommended that you roll up your long pants/jeans.
School and Group Tours:
SFM tries its best to accommodate school and group tours. Small groups of up to 10 people may be accommodated on the regular behind the scenes tours, which may run on any weekday. Bookings for these tours are essential and are subject to availability.
Payment for all school and group tours must be made prior to the tour date. No refunds will be issued. Please ensure that the group arrives promptly by 6.40am.
- Places on the tours are strictly limited and bookings are essential.
- Due to the nature of the environment and for safety reasons, SFM cannot offer wheelchair access to the auction floor portion of the tour.
- Photography & videography is strictly not permitted on the auction floor
Book Tours Online>
For further information call or email us on +61 2 9004 1108 (phone during business hours).
Click here for information on how to get to Sydney Fish Market >